Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Italian Sausage and Bread

I made some partly whole wheat bread (more white flour than whole wheat) today and while it was raising I wondered what to make for supper. I had thought of spaghetti but that just did not sounds that good to me. Humm what to do with too much bread dough... So our supper was homemade  Clazones (sp?) I grabbed a jar of spaghetti sauce out of the cupboard and some shredded cheese out of the freezer and then wondered, what kind of meat. I had a lone package of ground pork and I thought Italian sausage!

I thawed the 1# of pork and added to my trusty old electric coffee grinder reserved only for spices:
1 t fennel seeds
1/2 t salt
1 t seasoned salt
1/2 t ground sage
1.25 t sugar
1/4 t pepper
1 T parsley flakes
Grind for a few seconds in the grinder then mix well with the meat and place in the fridge for an hour or more. This is nice to freeze too. Shape into small meatball size and freeze on a cookie sheet, remove from the sheet once frozen solid and place in a zip bag. This makes it nice to do just a few at a time or you can use the whole bag.

I rolled out pieces of bread dough as round as I could make them and placed a good tablespoon of spaghetti sauce  in the center of the dough,  next added about 1/3 c of the browned meat, topped it off with cheddar and mozzarella cheese. I folded the one side over the other and pinched sealed the edges and then rolled the edges up  once and pinched again. I baked it at 400 degrees for a good 12 minutes and served it with the left over sauce from the jar.

Supper was Delicious, even Daisy our dog gladly ate some leftovers. Both loafs of bread turned out nice and light, will have some toast with jelly in the morning with my coffee before I go and meet my mom at her old place.

Tomorrow I have to get some shopping done, not my favorite job but a much needed one.  Turn your eyes upon Jesus and have a good night!  Kimi

No comments: